2.09.2012

It is not my lucky number

ilustration by me

I don’t believe in lucky number. But this number keeps telling me that it is my lucky number. Despite of its stubbornness to keep telling me that, I insist to be firm that I really don’t believe in lucky number. Just leave it to Mr. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono who silently declares “Nine” as his lucky number.

Leave Mr President and back to my story.

Seven. That is the number I meant.

I like the number since I was a kid. Seven is my favorite football t-shirts number. I used to wear that t-shirt. When I was a teenager, David Beckham showed up. He was later known of having the “Seven” number on his Manchester United official t-shirt. Well, I was one of his fans too. Not because of the number, but because of his football skill.

Then, I attended university. At that time (2000-2005), I was very enthusiastic in film. I had watched so many movies. Until, I knew this man. Brad Pitt. One of his remarkable movies was “Seven”! It wasn’t because of the Brad Pitt factor that I liked the movie. But indeed, I thought the movie was really damn good.

Then, as Gmail becoming a global trend, I was persuaded by one of my colleagues at the office  to have a Gmail account. So, I made it. My first attempt was to get my full name as my account address. Unfortunately, someone had used it. So, I tried another shot.

I wasn’t clear enough why I picked this number as a part of my e-mail address. So, it is now my Gmail account: ismail.fahmi7@gmail.com. Flip flop!

Then I met this beautiful girl, Arum Wahyuningtias. I met her for the first time at Plaza Semanggi, Jakarta, Indonesia on 25 April 2009. Lets be focus on the date. It was 25. Two plus five equals “Seven”!

We married a year later on 29 May 2010. Again, let be more focus on the date. Nine minus two equals “Seven”!

We both had waited for the delivery. Yup, a baby to come! After nine months of waiting, the baby was born on 7 March 2011. I don’t necessarily need to remind you where the “Seven” is coming.

Just a few days ago, I received good news. I got a scholarship to pursue my Master Degree in Australia. And the date of the announcement was on 7 February 2012. So, the date was…..?

Fascinatingly, my IELTS test for the scholarship was held on 7 January 2012. I was interviewed at room number 7. And, my order was 7th.

Yesterday, I told some of those stories to two of my friends at the office. One of them said that “Seven” in Javanese is “Pitu”. Javanese believes that “Pitu” is an abbreviation from “Pitulungan”, meaning “Help or assistance” in English. Well, that is a new insight for me.

Whatever it is, I still don’t believe with ‘lucky number’. But, I do believe in starting, doing, persisting and praying to God on every will we have. Those are my lucky codes of conduct.