9.23.2013

A Candy in the War Zone: a note of the War in Gaza

Wednesday, 21 January 2009.Three days before, Hamas and Israel announced a cease-fire after 22 days of war. Finally, after weeks of waiting at the Egypt-Gaza Strip border, I and hundreds of other journalists were allowed to enter Gaza Strip. We were running in a rush towards Gaza.
And…I dropped my bag. After getting it back, I found out that I was left behind.

I was alone….

All of a sudden, I was sweaty. My heartbeat was racing. I rang other journalists, but to no avail. At the border crossing, mobile phones were frequently jammed. On the other hand, my colleague was still eight hours car ride away in Cairo.

I was about to enter aterritory that had been wall-besieged in the south, east and north; and naturally confined by the sea in the west. This was a territorywhere its 1.5 millions of people had been haunted by the Israeli’s tanks, helicopters, and jet fightersbombardment for the last three weeks. This was a territory where a ceasefire could be violated anytime.

From the border, I had witnessed bombs day by day exploded just hundreds meter away from me. I could feel thesudden pressure of the wind slapped my face and the warmth of the air wiped my body. I could smell the death as I saw smoke was billowing like a giant mushroom. Whilst, what I had read and watched on television were the bleeding victims, the weeping parents and children, andthe increasing numbersof death toll which had reached more than a thousand.

Those images accompanied me to enter Gaza Strip. And single-handedly, this 27-year-old journalist carrieda seven kilos tripod, a three kilos camera, cables, a laptop, US$ 700 cash, and a basic Arabic language skill.And anyway, this is my first time covering a war.

*****

“Where do you want to go?” a middle-aged taxi driver asked me.

As I knew nothing about Gaza Strip, what I could do was showing him Al-Jazeera and Associated Press addresseswhich were given by my colleague at TVOne headquarter in Jakarta.

Muhammad was the name of the taxi driver. In that bumpy road trip, the father of nine explained what I had seen along the street: the long lines of people for gas; the collapsed houses; and craters left by the Israeli bombing.

“Israeli tanks were stationed here,” he pointed to an untidy tank trails beside Gaza Strip main street.

At the end of the trip, he asked me to come to his home for a lunch. I said “yes” if the time allowed me.

*****

Thursday, 22 January 2009.

My colleague arrived from Egypt and introduced me to Mahmud (22) and Mohammed (19). Both were volunteering at Al-Shifahospital to help the war victims. They became our guide who later became: our tour guide.

Yes. They were treating us more like a guest rather than a journalist. They invited us to attend lunch invitations offered by their family and relatives. Once we attended aninvitation, it had taken hours as we need to accompany them to Gaza Port to buy fish, waiting the fish to be processed and served. They did care about us, but not to our job.

“Come on… We don’t have a lot of time,” I grumbled to Mahmud and Mohammed.

It took time to do the live report. We had to set up the camera and satellite connection. Most importantly, we had to have new material to be reported.

One morning, we decided to leave them at the apartment while they were sleeping.

*****

A Hamas policeman offereda guide after we did a live report front of the destroyed Palestinian Legislative Council building in Rimal. We accepted it in a hope to have a better guide.

The 26-year-old bearded policeman gave us a free ride. It was a dull seventies black-painted sedan, dents-decorated, obsolete metal, and broken manual windows.

“How could you make your family ends meet?” I asked him as I knew that the war had causedpolice in Gaza Strip hadn’t been paid for eight months.

“Here, we help each other,”the father of a baby replied easily.

Later on, this policeman had become my anxiety tranquilizer. Just like when a bomb exploded only hundreds meter away behind us when we walked down a street.

“That was [a bomb] from a tank,” he told me calmly while I was shocked and half-bending my body to the ground.

He offered us a free stay at one of his relative’s apartment.The apartment was located at the fourth floor of an eight storey building. The host, Abu Hamza, transformed his living room to be our bedroomwith a brown carpet and a set of blue and beige stripes sofa mattresses.

“A doctor at the eighth floor want to meet you”, Abu Hamza said.

After finishing our work, we came to the doctor’s apartment.The father of four kids got his medical degree in Romaniawhere he met his Romanian wife. Because of his expertise, he was offered to stay in Romania. Instead, he decided to live in Gaza.

“You might live better there.”

“I don’t want to leave my land and let the Israelis capture it.”

At the end, he invited us to have a breakfast at his home. And the next morning, we were served with khubz (Arabic bread), fried eggs, olive oil, labneh (strained and thickened yoghurt), tomato, and hot tea.

*****

We had received many invitations, from a Hamas leader to a common people, from a stranger on the street to a community in a village. But, we could attend only some of it.

Wednesday, 28thJanuary 2009.

It was the last day we were permitted to stay in Gaza. Mohammed, our first guide, called and begged us to accept his parent lunch invitation. We had promised him to visit his family. As we had to go back to Egypt soon, it was our last chance to fulfill the promise.

Mohammed’s family house was located in a slum area in Deir el-Balah. The house was formerly part of a prison block, built by the British government.

We had our lunch in Mohammed’s room. The wall was light yellow-painted with some of its surface damaged and a set of steel frame peeked through it. The room had a tiny glass block window which gave sunlight enough space to illuminate the humid room. This time, we had khubz, humus, brown lamb flavor-rice, lamb, green chili, lemon slices, and orange juice.

Beforehand, on the way to attend Mohammed’sinvitation, a little boy greeted us loudly from his house.

“Hi, uncle!”

He approached us.With a vivid smile, he gave us something and run back to his house. And the thing was a candy.